Over lunch today I had an odd thought. I was considering what kind of people play D&D, and this is the list I came up with: the people who are interested in the math and statistics (call them the mathematicians), are the people who are interested in the social aspect (socializers), the people who enjoy the experience of the world and narrative (narrativists), and the people who can only think well of themselves when they're pretending to be a Level 50 Badass Motherfucker of Doom (the creepy fucks who get off on hitting on female NPCs and fucking with other PCs).

And then I realized that these on-the-spot categories map rather well to the four MMO player type model of Achievers (the mathematicians, who want to maximize their stats), Socializers (duh), Explorers (the narrativists, who want to experience the world), and Griefers (who want to dominate other players). Maybe I was just unconsciously influenced by my knowledge of the model, and the model itself is not particularly concrete, and my own player type list certainly holds little weight, but it's interesting nonetheless. I sort of wonder if these four player types rather correspond to generic types of people in general? Achievers are the businessmen interested in accomplishment for itself, Socializers are people people, Explorers are individualists, artists, creators, and Griefers are the jerks. Hmm.

0 comments: